Monday, October 12, 2015

The Phoenix Empire Pilgrimage: Prologue (Láng: Four Years Ago)

Is it normal to dream only nightmares?

Because I can't remember the last pleasant dream I had. Every time I try to sleep, I see something bad, or something bad happens to me. Being hurt, being killed, being violated... These are the things I see and feel when I close my eyes. The nightmares keep coming, and it's getting harder to tell one dream from the other. I just try to sleep, and something scares me...

Then I wake up. I wake up in a cave in this forest, like I do every other morning. It's cold... I had nearly forgotten that it was around wintertime. As I allow my body to wake up, I watch as the snow falls from the heavens and covers the green forest in white. After a while, I stand up, and bring my blade with me. I might as well see if there's something I can kill for food nearby...

"!?"

I hear something. Moving as fast as I can without making a sound, I move in the direction of the sound. I conceal myself behind some bushes and continue to listen. Something is walking in this direction. From what I can tell, there's only one of them. The moment I see the source of the sound, I pounce.

“Whoa! What the hell!?”

My mind freezes. A person... a grey-haired, grey-eyed boy, twelve or thirteen, around my age. I haven't seen another human being in years. What is he doing here?

“Who are you?” The boy doesn't answer my question, but he continues to stare at me... “What?”

“Sorry. I'm not gonna hurt you, so please put the weapon down...”

He has a bag with him...

“What are you—”

“Stay there.”

“...”

I open it. It's full of scrolls.

“What are these for?”

“Hm... I won't lie to you. Those are magical scrolls for summoning weapons.” I look at him with suspicion. He says he won't hurt me, yet he has all this... “Oh, come on, don't be like that. I'm one of the good guys!” I sigh. He insists on being trusted.

“Fine. Just... who are you?”


He looks up at me, smiling, proud. “My name is Grey. I'm a magical warrior... I'm the Emperor's Magic Knight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment