Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Phoenix Empire Pilgrimage: Epilogue (Grey)

That evening, we return to the Great Hall of Emperor Ōtori, with the priest boy, Shu, in tow.

“Ah, you have returned alive!” The High Priest, Jiro, runs over and hugs his son. “Thank you all so much for watching over him! Luna will surely bless you!” Seeing that, seeing a father so thankful that his boy has come home alright, it brings a smile to my face.

“Another good job, Magic Knights,” Emperor Ōtori says, smiling. “Jiro, I trust we'll be sticking to the arrangements we've made about their reward?”

“300,000 Gien each, right? I'll have it mailed to them as soon as possible. Thank you.”

“300,000!?” Holy crap, that's a lot! You could almost buy a small house with that! “High Priest Jiro, I don't think--”

“Please take it,” Jiro says, smiling at me. “It's the best way I could express my gratitude.”

“Hey, I won't argue with that,” Láng says, shrugging.

I let out a sigh. “Neither will I.” I smile at the holy man. “I'll take it gladly.”

He laughs. “Good, good. Just remember not to spend it all in... ah, who am I kidding. It's your reward, do as you wish with it.” He starts to leave. “Let us be on our way, son.”

“Just a moment, father,” Shu says. He stands in front of us. “Grey, Láng, Flèche, thank you. If it weren't for you, I would not have had the strength to complete my journey. I wouldn't even be standing here...” He wipes a tear away from his eye. “Deeply, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you.”

Feeling no need to say anything, I reach out my hand. Shu takes my hand in his and shakes it. He then departs from the Great Hall with his father, Hopefully to get a night of well deserved rest... Emperor Ōtori dismisses us, and it is time for us to head home, as well.

“Well, my home's this way,” says Flèche, pointing right. “I'll see you in the morning, okay?”

“Okay,” I say. “Good night!” I wave to her, and go down the street with Láng.

“Why are you walking me home, again?” Láng asks, after a moment.

“My house just happens to be in the same direction,” I say, not trying to bring my feelings into it, “but hey, if it bothers you that much...”

“No, no, it's not a big deal. You can walk with me,” she says, still walking. “Come and walk next to me, it feels weird when you're behind.” Not willing to argue, I just do so.

“Another quest completed successfully, huh, Grey?”

“What? Uh, yeah. Mission complete,” I say, lost in my thoughts.

“Something bothering you, man?”

“No, it's nothing.”

“No, you're lying.” Láng walks a little ahead and stands in front of me. “We're a team, right? We're supposed to rely on each other. Tell me... what's wrong?”

“...Flèche told me that you almost died fighting Ghostmask.” Láng's eyes widen when I say this. “You could have died, and... and I was unable to do anything.”

“Ah, where did this come from...” she says, scratching her head. “Well, yeah, I could have died. I was fighting someone who was trying to kill us, so what do you expect? Why are you worrying right now, though? I'm alive. Everything's fine...”

“No, it's not!” I shout, grabbing onto Láng's shoulders. “This isn't the way things should be! Shu said that you would make a great Magic Knight... I know that truth better than anyone... but look at the way things ended up!”

“Grey, don't start--”

“This power should've been yours in the first place! I have to stop being useless... I have to get strong enough to fight for both of us! Don't worry, Láng, I'll pro--”

Láng shoves me away. “Don't you dare say it, Grey! We've been over this before, and if you say such an idiotic, cliched thing like I think you're about to, I'll deck you, so just shut up!” She starts rubbing her forehead. “Look, Grey. Let's say you did 'get strong enough to fight for both of us'. Let's say I did just let you protect me. Okay, then... How would I be able to protect you, then?”

“What? That's...”

“Grey, you can't just play the lone hero. It doesn't work that way. Like I said, we're a team. You've got powers that I don't. I understand that. Still, that doesn't mean you're immortal. If you died protecting me and I could do nothing, do you really think I'd be okay with that?”

“...”

“See? You, me, Flèche... we all can die, so we all need to protect each other. Besides, I still have a favor to ask of you.” She smiles at me. “I can't tell you what it is if I'm dead, can I?”

Ah yes, that's right. How could I not have seen it that way? “Alright, I get it.” I reach out for a handshake. “Until I can keep our promise, I won't die, but don't you go dying either, got it?”

Instead of taking my hand, Láng embraces me again. It's just like that day four years ago... “Don't worry, Grey. I won't die.” She eventually lets go. “Well, my house is right here, so I'll see you tomorrow.” Not knowing what else to say, I just nod. “...and Grey...”

“Yes?”

“Thank you.”

With that, she walks into her house. I start heading home, myself.


...Láng, I'm sorry for doubting you. For forgetting, even if only just for a second, what kind of person you are. I won't let that happen again, though. I should know, by now, that the three of us are strongest together, so whatever load we have to carry, we'll carry it together. Thanks for reminding me, Láng... I will go on believing in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment