Sunday, October 11, 2015

Words About Another: Roberto Pinchas (The Magnificent Third Rail: A Retrospective)

Yep, I'm still just procrastinating, right now. I know all three of you are waiting oh-so-anxiously for me to get on with the show, but don't worry, I actually have been doing a bit of writing. I hope to have the next book finished in a reasonable amount of time. 

But anyway, let me tell you about one of the many things that have been distracting me.

Again, if you're reading this, chances are you're from Anime and Manga: Other Titles or #otchat. Anyway, today's subject is Roberto Pinchas (in all likelihood, an alias). You may also know him as SRXmkII, but if you don't know anything about him, Roberto is... ah, how do I say it without sounding rude...

You see, Roberto Pinchas is a weird guy.

I don't know how to explain it. Yes, everyone on that message board and in that chat is a weirdo in some way or another (myself included) but Roberto stands out as such even amongst the rest of us. It's crazy.

As one might expect, that weirdness is seen all over his works of fiction, as well, which brings me to The Magnificent Third Rail: A Retrospective. Now, I think I might know what some of you are thinking. "You and that other guy put your crappy books up on blogs for free! Why would I pay $4 to read one!?" Trust me on this. I'm about a quarter of the way through and I'd say Third Rail is worth the money.

So far, at least, it basically follows a sequence of events following an unfortunate accident that took a young man's life. However, me just describing the plot to you is worthless. The voices of the characters, the bizarre sense of humor, those are the kinds of things that set the story apart. I can certainly say that I've never read a story like it. I mean, would you expect to read a book and end up laughing at the comments written on a character's Facebook Memorial page?

And that's just one example of the kind of crazy stuff in this book. Basically, if you want to read something funny, different, and weird, I recommend you give Third Rail a look. You should probably look through it a little bit before deciding to purchase it, though, because it probably isn't for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment