Saturday, August 1, 2015

Young Magic Knight: My Thoughts

So, well, there's that. The first book, Young Magic Knight, is up and finished. If you've read it, thanks for sticking with it the whole way through, I appreciate it. If you haven't, I think you should give it a look.

You know, even after touching it up a bit, I still have... bittersweet feelings about it. You can still see where I was getting bored writing and just wrote stuff down, where I forced the story forward, where I didn't know how I wanted to describe something or where I couldn't think of a way for a character to speak a sentence and still have it make sense while getting their feelings across.

However, I still think I can say I'm happy, overall. It was my first real serious writing effort and it shows, but I still saw it through and I'm excited that I finally mustered up the courage to share it with others. Besides, I had so much fun doing this, so it was definitely worth it.

Now, just because I've finished this book doesn't mean I'm done. Far from it, actually! (If you've read the ending, you'd see that I still have a lot of explaining to do...) So if, for whatever reason, you want to read more of what I've got, don't worry. I intend to have a lot more coming, and I think my future creations are already shaping up to be better than this one, so you can look forward to that!

Anyway, in spite of all its flaws, I still like Young Magic Knight as a whole, and even if it wasn't my own work, I'd like to believe that I would get some enjoyment from reading it.

My favorite chapters are Chapters 12 and 13, partially because they're so damn edgy. Jokes aside, though, those are the chapters I ended up revising the most, and are almost unrecognizable next to the poorly written messes they were in the first draft (in fact, I'd like to believe they were the real reason I was so ashamed of the book at first. It was to the point that I considered just deleting both chapters and pretending they didn't happen! Good thing I didn't, because I think they turned out much better, this time around.)

If it wasn't obvious enough, Trace was my favorite character. Actually, when I first thought this up, waaaaaay back when I was still in high school, she was meant to be THE main character, mostly because I liked her so much. You can still see artifacts of this in the final product, like... how she eclipses all the other characters in development, importance, and power, and steals the spotlight from everyone...

B-but I tried as hard as I could to keep her from becoming a Mary Sue despite all that, okay!? Don't worry, she won't really be showing up in the next few books, so you don't have to worry about her taking over the narrative for a while.

Don't have much to say about the other characters aside from that they feel a little empty to me, by comparison. Azul is a nice guy and a good friend, Cleo is a nice girl with a tragic past, Primo was... there... Baek was just some guy, and I actually really regret neglecting Emerald as there was a lot of room for me to show her developing, and I can see how interesting she might have been, if I gave her a few more focus chapters.

Also, like Trace, these characters, how I wrote them, and how they were meant to develop have changed since I first made the Magic Knight Saga up. If you really are curious, I guess you can ask me about it, since I'm getting tired of writing right now and this is getting kind of long...

So, I'm done. Hope you're looking forward to what I have planned, because there are still a ton of stories to tell. Don't know how long it will take, but I will put the next book up when the time comes. See you then!

1 comment: