Saturday, August 1, 2015

Young Magic Knight: Chapter 18 (Cleo)

Salvator?” Primo is the first to speak.

“Primo?” Salvator says, recognizing him.

Primo smiles and answers, “Yes. It's nice to meet you. Unfortunately, we don't have time to talk. We need your help.”

“Of course. You need me to help defeat Shadowhand, correct?” Salvator seems to understand what's going on.

“I see you've received all the information successfully. Well, then, this will be quick. We are looking for the 'Prince' and 'Princess' of Shadowhand. They should send fairly strong mana signals, and be fleeing from this direction. Can you scan for them?”

Salvator nods. Suddenly, a glow fills the room. Is this the mana that Savior gives off just from scanning? It's so strong... the range he's scanning must be incredible. “I've found them.” With that, he runs off. As he runs, something starts to materialize on his body... an all white suit of armor, worthy of a swordsman who is meant to save us all. The moment he gets outside, white wings, like an angel's, sprout from his back, and he takes off into the sky. We are left standing there, in Strife's yard.

“We should follow him,” Blue says, breaking the silence.

“Why?” Primo replies. “He can take care of himself. He'll handle this just fine.”

“That's not what I'm worried about.” I understand exactly what's bothering him.

“Primo, let's just go. I think it's better than just standing here.” Baek, who usually stays silent, says this.

“I don't see the problem, guys.” Primo shrugs. “If he beats the last four Shadowhand, which he can do, why don't we just let him handle it?”

“Because if we let him go, he'll kill all four of them,” Trace says, having just listened for longer than I had expected. “Primo, I don't think we should kill the Shadowhand.”

“Why do you care if he kills them or not?” Emerald says, with an irritated tone.

“Shut up, Emerald! We don't have time for this!” A spiral of insults and swear words follow. They start to bicker...

“Both of you, be quiet! Calm the hell down!” It's Blue, of all people, who shouts that. “Listen. We can't be fighting amongst ourselves. You guys wanna stop Savior? By the time you're finished arguing, he'll have killed them all! Just be calm and think for a second!” It's dead silent. All eyes are on him. “It's true that Shadowhand are the bad guys, and they'll do something terrible if we don't stop them. Still, we shouldn't kill them because I'm sure they can still be reasoned with. If we can just get King to stop what he's doing, then nobody else has to die.”

Emerald, a little calmer than before, asks Blue a rather sensible question. “Azul, even then, we can't be sure we can just talk him out of it. Wouldn't it be best if we just focused on trying to stop him, even if it means killing him, instead of hoping he'll just change his mind, or something like that?”

“I know what you mean.” Blue, while disagreeing with her, seems to understand what Emerald is saying. “If King dies, he won't be able to hurt anyone ever again, but at the same time, he might disappear from this world without us having been able to try and help him... or any of the others of Shadowhand.”

“Help him!? Azul, where are you going with this?”

“Just give me a second.” He seems to still be sorting out what he's trying to say. “King is a criminal, but... do you remember the Charles Freeman incident? Remember how Central silenced a cry for help simply by killing the person who uttered that cry? What if we're doing the same thing? Getting rid of an opportunity for change? That's what I meant by helping him. This could just be King's cry for help. We shouldn't kill someone like that. We're the heroes, so we should save people, shouldn't we? I think we should try to save King... from Savior... from himself. I know what you mean. It's risky, naive, to assume something like this, but I'd rather give him a chance than kill him and not be able to take it back. Too many people have died already...” It's completely silent... Nobody knows what to say.

“You know what, I think Blue's right,” Trace says. “Criminals like King don't act for nothing. Even if his desire is different from the rest of what society wants, it's still a desire that deserves to be heard. Somewhere inside, I don't think Savior will be able to understand that. He'll kill him and the others without even thinking about it. We need to get to them before it's too late. We need to give them the second chance that everyone deserves...” I know too well why Trace would be the one to say that.

“Cleo?” Blue looks at me. “Will you help me?”

“Of course,” I say, without thinking. “You're right, Blue. Besides, I'll always be with you and Trace. After all, we're friends, right?” I can feel the strong connection between us three as I say that. With all that we've been through, we've forged a bond that won't be broken, no matter what...

“Alright, let's go! The rest of you are coming, right?”

“Of course!” Baek smiles. “There's no way I could just sit here after you said all that.”

“I still think it'd be easier to just have him killed, but okay. I'll believe in you,” Emerald says.

“Okay, I get it. I feel kind of stupid for not looking at it that way earlier.” Primo seems to laugh at himself as he says this. “Alright! We're the heroes, so let's be heroes! Let's save some lives! Armis, Magic Knights, let's move!” We go chasing after the Savior, to keep him from making the mistake we can't take back...

In some time, we catch up with Savior, in front of an abandoned building, a rather tall structure, with a neon sign reading “CORE” at the top. However, this sign no longer works. I assume this was CORE's Dreamers City base of operations, from back in 2000... When we get there, we're treated to a rather horrible sight. The spilled blood and Savior standing over the mangled bodies makes it clear enough. We're too late to save the Prince and Princess.

“No!” Blue runs over to them, maybe to check if they were really dead, maybe because he couldn't believe it. Regardless, his fears are confirmed.

“Salvator.” Primo steps forward, and starts to speak. “I ask of you, do not kill anymore.”

“Why?” Primo is just as surprised as I am. “Why should I not kill them? I was created to get rid of Shadowhand, am I right? I'm doing exactly what I was meant to do.” Primo seems to have difficulty thinking of what to say next.

“I understand that, but you don't have to kill them. We're not...”

“But why?” Again, Savior asks. “Why should I not kill them? These people were criminals, and they still are... That is why I'll kill them all.”

“That's ridiculous!” Trace, who had remained silent for a while, shouts. “What are talking about? 'These people were criminals, and they still are'... How can you say crap like that!? Is this all some attempt to quail the fears of the people of Central!?” It's weird, hearing Trace say these words, but they sound familiar, somehow. “It's that kind of attitude that put us in this situation to begin with!”

“Silence, Trace Prince!” All the color drains from Trace's face, as if she wasn't expecting Savior to know who she is. “Yes. I know you. I know everything about you. The only reason you feel the need to forgive these people is because you're a criminal yourself!” Trace looks as if Savior had stabbed her in the heart. “I know about the girl you killed. All of this is so you can push away your own guilt.”

“Shut up...”

Savior keeps speaking. “You just can't face the truth! You can't accept the fact that you are nothing but a murderer. You play at being a 'superhero', but it's nothing but a childish delusion!”

“SHUT UP!!!” She runs. She runs right at that thing that's supposed to save us. Intending to kill. With a wave of Savior's hand, however, Trace is sent flying back... She crashes into a nearby car on the street.

“Even now, you are nothing but a killer... I was right. Your thinking is disgusting, just like CORE's. People like you are what the masses fear, and so I will kill you, too, if I have to...”

“That's enough!” I've had enough of him talking to Trace that way. “How dare you say things like that! It's true that Trace killed someone, but she's not the same person she was before! She wants to be a better person! She trying as hard as she can!”

Savior looks even more disgusted. “You, of all people, would be the one to try and defend her... You've killed even more than she has!” It was my turn to feel the pain of his words...

“'It wasn't my fault', 'I did what I had to do'... That means nothing to those who suffered! Who's to say nothing will happen that will make you need to start killing again!?” I feel sick, hearing these words, because I can't deny it...

“Salvator, stop it!” It is Blue speaks this time. “Why are you arguing with us!? We want the same thing, to stop the bad guys! We just can't do it this way! Don't you realize what kind of circus this'll turn into if you kill all of them!? Don't you even care!?”

“To be honest, Azul Ryukawa, I do not.” Blue looks as if he does not know what to say. “Things like that don't matter. What's important is that these are the same criminals that Ms. Strife and others have fought in the past. Why should they be granted pardon when they've had a chance to change already!?”

Blue is frozen for a moment. “It's not that simple...”

“This conversation is pointless.” It is clear that Savior's done talking. “I've had enough of this. I will kill the King and Queen of Shadowhand.”

“I won't let you do it.”

Primo steps toward Savior, and stretches his arm out, making a sword materialize from nowhere. This is a magnificent sword, and I feel a power from it that is unfamiliar to me. This must be the “I” Sword from the legend of the Swordsmen... “Salvator... submit to my will, or be struck down!”

Savior seems somewhat surprised. “You would draw your blade, with the intent to kill your own brother?”

Primo doesn't budge. “Not just me.” He points his blade forward. “Armis. Attack the Savior.”

With that, some of the figures in white fly forward, their swords all aimed at the Savior. Blades clash and blood spills. However, try as they might, it becomes apparent that they are fighting a losing battle. With his next slash, Savior carves the Second Swordsman in two, and in that instant, he is gone from this world.

“Otro!” Savior doesn't stop there, however. He thrusts his hand forward, towards the Fourth and Fifth, and suddenly, there is a bright light. My eyes cannot take it, and I look away... The moment I look back at the scene, they're gone. It's as if they were never there...

“No!” This must be painful for Primo. The closest thing he has to family is being completely destroyed by what is supposed to be his brother... “DAMN YOU!!!” For the first time, I hear real anger in Primo's voice. I've never seen him this upset before. Primo and Savior clash. Primo attacks him again and again. His rage is keeping him going, but he isn't getting anywhere...

“No! Everyone stop fighting, please!” The one who says this is the Eighth. “It won't solve anything!”

The Third, standing behind them, shakes their head. “No. Our views are too different. This isn't something we can fix with just words.” They start walking toward Savior, but I sense no killing intent... “Primo, Magic Knights, sorry, but I'm on Salvator's side. It's not that I want to be your enemy, but your view of things is a childish one... If you're willing to fight us so that you don't have to kill these criminals, then there's only one thing I can do.”

They look at the other Swordsmen, and say: “Well?”

This time, the Seventh, Septimo, stepped forward. “Come on, the rest of you, if you don't wanna die...” With that, more of them go over to Savior. The Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Thirteenth... In just a couple seconds, they suddenly become our enemies.

“So, this is how it has to be...” Blue stands up and says this. “If you go up there to kill them, you'll have to kill me, too. I don't care if I have to fight you all by myself!”

“Blue...” I stand at his side. “You don't have to fight alone. I'm here with you.”

“Me too.” This time, Baek speaks.

“Alright. Even if we lose, I guess we'll all go down together.” Emerald now stands with us.

“Yeah. We won't let you do this, Armis.” Trace gets up and stands next to me.

“You guys...” Primo seems shocked that we would stand and fight in a situation like this. He seems to smile. “Alright, everyone! Let's get 'em!” We charge forward.

“Bow. Divide!” Flèche's bow splits in two, and becomes a pair of blades. I dash at the Seventh, who sees my strike coming and blocks it.

“This is a pointless battle! Destroying Shadowhand is the only way to make this city peaceful again. Don't you want that!?”

I kick, sending them a few yards back. “You don't understand! It's possible that King himself hasn't killed anyone, yet! I'll bet... that the entire reason this is even happening is because he was treated unfairly because of his past!”

“Ventus.” The spell is cast, and I shoot the wind forward. It cuts through Septimo's arm like a blade, producing a spray of blood.

“You childish fool... CORE was a criminal organization! They took over Central City... They were going to take over the Center Continent, they were going to take over the entire world! Are you defending something like that?!”

“Hell no!” Septimo flies forward and slashes at me. I move, just in time, to guard against it. “I don't know much about CORE, but from what I've learned, they were going to do something bad. That may be true of CORE, itself, but what about the people within?”

“I don't know what you're talking about.”

I take some time to think about what to say next. As I think, I am able to push the Armis away. “Ordinary people are easily influenced. Especially by huge displays of power. Don't you think some of those ordinary people could have gotten swept up in it all? Don't you think it's possible that King might not be a criminal without CORE's influence?”

A ray of light shoots out in my direction. I just barely move in time. “You really are a fool. King is much too powerful to be one of your 'ordinary people'. His level of power is not unlike Strife's. Are you seriously going to argue that King was just a person that was cowed by a display of CORE's power!? Are you trying to make me laugh?!”

More beams. I think this is the Lux spell. If I get hit by that element, it'll be bad, but if I get closer, I can get a hit in while they're shooting and win. Septimo shouldn't be too tough. After all, Trace managed to knock them out with a single bullet. I step from side to side, moving forward a little every time... “Flèche, we must put a lot of power behind this strike.” I slash at the Armis's midsection, and they fall in half. I go right past them, and don't see the violent death I've just given them.

“Septimo...” I hear grunting behind me. Perhaps they haven't expired just yet. “Even a lion can be swept away by the stream.”

“Do you think you're doing the right thing?”

“I will not kill the King or Queen. This city will be peaceful. There will just be more people around to enjoy it...” I still can't turn back... Can't watch something... someone, that looks so human, die like this.

“You better be right about all this you've said. All I want is peace. Do it for me, Miss Arkald. Make this city peaceful again... If you've killed me for nothing, I'll never forgive you...” Silence...

I look around to see that some of the other Armis have been either disabled or killed. I assume everyone else won their fights. “Give it up, Salvator!” Primo says, pointing his blade at the Savior. “It's over!”

“Tch.” Then, Savior jumps. He must have gone thousands of feet into the air. He lands on top of the CORE Building. The building we believe the King and Queen to be hiding in...

“He's going to try and reach them before us!”

“It's okay.” Primo starts planning on how to deal with this. “Cleo, I want you to take Trace and Emerald, fly up there, and distract Salvator.”

Somehow, the use of the word “distract” worries me more than it should. “Distract?”

Avoiding looking into our eyes, Primo nods. “The rest of us will go for King and Queen. Are you guys okay with that?” Blue and Baek nod. “Alright, we don't have much time. Let's put this plan into action!” Primo picks up his brothers' swords, maybe hoping to get use out of them...

“Ventus.” The wind starts blowing around me, Trace, and Emerald, and it starts raising us above the ground. Blue takes one last look at us before we take off. I smile at him reassuringly. When I see him smile back, I think to myself, I have to survive, no matter what...

“Good luck, you guys!” Baek says this and runs inside the front door of the building.

“See you later.” Primo runs forward.

“Don't you dare die, you hear me? I won't let you hear the end of it, especially if we all end up in Hell!” Now Blue leaves, saying that.

Now it's time for us to act. “Okay. Fly!” We went shooting up into the air at high speed. We reach the top of the building in less than a minute. We land on the rooftop, and see Savior, standing there. We all draw our weapons and approach the angel-like creation waiting for us...


“Let's bring this to an end...”

No comments:

Post a Comment