Monday, May 16, 2016

A Quick Look At Sin Judge Knight

Well, seeing as it's been a while and Sin Judge Knight is nowhere near done, and I haven't had much to say on this blog, I figured I should have something to show for the fact that I haven't just been sitting here doing nothing. So what I did was pick a passage at random, although I had to make sure it wasn't too spoilerific, and I decided to put it up as a preview of sorts. Kind of give an idea of what it's like and hopefully, entertain whoever's reading this.

Also, this is based on a first draft and is likely to change when I get around to doing a proper revision. If you see a problem, I wouldn't mind if you pointed it out.
---
After leaving the room, I head up to the roof to get my mind off this stuff. Students aren't really supposed to be up there, but the staff doesn't care. A stairway on the third floor will take me to the roof.

“Oh, look who it is.”

I recognize the girl sitting here on the roof, seemingly still half asleep. “'sup, Sasha?”

“I figured you weren't coming up here to skip anymore,” she says, watching as I step closer to the wire fence surrounding the roof. “I guess these last few days actually don't matter, after all, huh, Mr. 3.0?”

“Oh, shut up,” I say, knowing that she's just teasing me.

I look over and realize that she's not fooling around on her phone or playing a game. Instead, she pulls something else out of the pocket of her teal hoodie. Is that a pack of cigarettes? How did she even get them in here? I watch as she takes one out and lights it.

“You smoke?”

I get my answer almost immediately. Not a simple yes or no, but the moment after Sasha brings it to her pink lips and inhales, she starts to cough real bad.

“Ah, holy hell!” She flicks the still burning cigarette out through the fence, to the ground far below. “That fucking burns... Shit!” Sasha starts to rub her chest.

“I guess that's a no.”

“Fuck you. You're not even gonna come see if I'm alright?”

“If you can still say stuff like that, you're probably fine.”

She just frowns.

“Why the hell are you trying cigs, anyway?”

Sasha plays around with her messy, orange hair. “Eh... I was bored.”

“Psh...” Tired of looking out past the fence, I take a seat right where I was standing.

“So, why did you come up here, again?”

I did come up here to get my mind off it, but... “...do you know a guy named Lux Morning?”

“What!?” Sasha covers her mouth after shouting that, suddenly falling silent.

“What kind of reaction is that?”

“Wh—I mean...” She runs her hand down her face. “I mean... what, how could you not know him?” Sasha chuckles a bit. “You're in the same class, right?”

Unable to shake the feeling that she's hiding something, I just say: “That's right, I guess.”

“You guess, huh?”

“Look, man. Seriously, he wasn't in that classroom before. I would have remembered.”

“I dunno, Blake, maybe you just forgot, or something. Happens to the best of us.”

Dammit, I just know something's up. I won't have much luck trying to fish it out of her, though. 

“If you say so.” I let out a sigh. “To think I came up here to get my mind off of it...” I look over at Sasha again and see that she's messing around with her phone, now. “So, you looking forward to summer school?”

“I ain't goin' to summer school, my work is all done,” Sasha says, looking at her phone. “You know, I did actually come in to finish my tests. They were easy.”

That gets me to raise an eyebrow. “If that shit was so easy, why didn't you sit your fat ass down and just power through it in the first place?” I actually don't know if Sasha's fat, by the way. It's hard to tell with the baggy clothes she's always wearing. No matter how many times I call her fat, she never really gets mad, though. “Better than just laying there doing nothing, right?”

“I didn't feel like it, man... What point is there in trying any harder than I already have? Look, you get to move on to the next grade, and so do I. Makes all that effort you put in, taking this shit seriously, look like a waste, huh? Fuck school, you could learn a couple lessons from me.”

I roll my eyes at that. “Sasha, how the hell are you going to survive once we graduate? Dunno about your crazy pretend world, but in my world, the real world, adults work.”

“Who said anything about working? I'm getting someone to do that for me. Like, you know, I'm a girl, see?”

“I hadn't noticed.”

“Well, I'll get married to some rich guy who thinks I'm cute, and just cruise...”

I fight the urge to laugh, but it ends up coming out, anyway. “Ha, so you're getting married straight out of high school, then? Piggybacking off your husband forever?”

By now, Sasha has stopped looking at her phone. Her light blue eyes are just watching the blue sky above. I end up looking up at it, myself. Not a cloud to be seen.

“...yeah, I guess?” After about a minute of silence, she just says that. “But... I don't know. What if I end up with some dude who expects too much from me? Trying to get me to cook for him and shit, asking me why I act like don't love him, asking if we can fuck... he'd probably want some little brat running around, too. Fuck that lame-ass shit.”

Yes, that's right. Behold, Sasha, the girl that is literally too lazy to give a fuck. It's crazy. “Wait, so are you trying to get married or not?”

“I don't know anymore. Maybe if I could get with someone who knows what he's getting into.”

“So, you wanna marry someone, have no love for 'em, and not have to do anything for them?” I ask. “Sounds legit.”

“Hmm, I don't know about no love at all.” Suddenly, I feel her eyes on me. I turn to face her. “Hey, Blake, if we get married...”

“...”

“Would you carry me and promise me I ain't gotta do shit?”

“You're too heavy.”

“What. Come on, man, you're pretty strong, right?”

“Sorry. My arms are like twigs that would snap under your great weight.”

“...shut the hell up.”

We sit there, looking at each other for what has to be about ten seconds.

“...ha, ha!” I let that slip out, realizing that Sasha's started to laugh, herself. We both just sit there, laughing... “Ah, alright, I should go.” I stand up. “Don't wanna spend too much time messing around, after all.”

“See ya. Oh, hey...” Suddenly, Sasha stands up and hands me her cell phone. “Put your number in there.”

I just stare at her, saying nothing.

“Don't take it the wrong way, just... come on, how are we gonna stay in contact over the summer? You're the only person I talk to, anyway. It's just in case I get bored, or something.”

Not willing to argue, I just add my number to her contacts, then walk off. As I leave, Sasha goes back to looking at the sky...
---
Tell me if they cuss too much in this, by the way. The idea was to make them sound like edgy teenagers going through a phase, but I'm worried I might have gone overboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment